Benefits of brewers yeast for horses with sweet itch include:
- Support the immune system and reduce the risk of infections and allergic reactions.
- Improve skin health and reduce the severity of sweet itch symptoms.
- Improve digestion and reduce the risk of digestive upset.
- Improve mood and reduce anxiety in horses with sweet itch.
Brewers yeast is a commonly used supplement in horses, and it has been suggested that it may help to alleviate symptoms of sweet itch. However, there is limited scientific evidence to support the use of brewers yeast for this purpose.
Brewers yeast is rich in B vitamins and other nutrients, and it is believed to support a healthy immune system and promote skin and coat health. Some horse owners and veterinarians have reported that supplementing with brewers yeast can help to reduce the severity of sweet itch symptoms, such as itching and skin irritation.
While there is no definitive scientific evidence to support the use of brewers yeast for sweet itch, some studies have suggested that it may have anti-inflammatory properties and may help to support the immune system. Additionally, brewers yeast is generally considered safe for horses to consume, and it is unlikely to cause any harmful side effects.
If you are considering using brewers yeast to help manage sweet itch in your horse, it’s important to consult with your veterinarian first. Your veterinarian can help you determine whether brewers yeast is a safe and appropriate supplement for your horse, and they can also recommend other management strategies to help alleviate sweet itch symptoms, such as environmental management, fly control, and topical or oral medications.
- A Source Of Valuable B Group Vitamins Essential For Sturdy Growth Including Thioamine, Nicotinic Acid And Riboflavin.
- Can Help Maintain Healthy Skin And Increase The Appetites.
- Size : 1.5 Kg
- Barcode : 5035236000109
- Gold Label Brewers Yeast 1.5Kg
Our organisation is reader supported. When you buy through our links, we may receive a commision.
What is Brewers Yeast?
Brewers yeast is a type of fungus that is commonly used as a dietary supplement for horses and other animals. It is produced by fermenting various grains, such as barley or wheat, with the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
Brewers yeast is a rich source of B vitamins, particularly thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin. It also contains minerals such as chromium, selenium, and zinc, as well as other nutrients such as amino acids, beta-glucans, and nucleotides.
In addition to its use as a dietary supplement for horses, brewers yeast is commonly used in the brewing industry to ferment beer and other alcoholic beverages. It is also used in the production of bread and other baked goods, as well as in the production of nutritional supplements for humans and animals.
Brewers yeast is believed to provide a variety of health benefits for horses, including improved digestive health, immune system support, and skin and coat health. It is also used by some horse owners and trainers as a performance-enhancing supplement.
Brewers yeast is available in various forms, including powder, pellets, and flakes. It can be added to a horse’s feed or given as a supplement in tablet or capsule form. It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for dosage and administration, and to consult with a veterinarian before adding any new supplements to a horse’s diet.
Benefits of brewers yeast for horses
Brewers yeast is a popular supplement used in the equine industry, and it is believed to provide a variety of benefits for horses. Here are some of the potential benefits of brewers yeast for horses:
- Digestive health: Brewers yeast contains beneficial microorganisms, such as Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which can help to support a healthy digestive system in horses. These microorganisms may improve nutrient absorption and reduce the risk of digestive upset.
- Immune system support: Brewers yeast is rich in B vitamins, which are essential for maintaining a healthy immune system. Additionally, some studies have suggested that brewers yeast may have immune-modulating effects, which can help to support the body’s natural defenses against disease.
- Skin and coat health: Brewers yeast is a good source of biotin, which is essential for maintaining healthy skin and coat in horses. It may also contain other beneficial nutrients, such as zinc and selenium, which can help to promote healthy skin and coat.
- Performance enhancement: Some horse owners and trainers use brewers yeast as a performance-enhancing supplement, as it is believed to help improve energy metabolism and reduce the risk of exercise-induced muscle damage.
- Stress reduction: Brewers yeast may help to reduce stress in horses by promoting the production of certain neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and dopamine. This can help to improve mood and reduce anxiety.
Benefits of brewers yeast for horses with sweet itch
Brewers yeast is a natural and nutritional supplement that can help horses with sweet itch in several ways:
Immune system support
Horses with sweet itch have an overactive immune response to the saliva of biting insects, leading to an allergic reaction. The immune system is essential for protecting the body from infections and illnesses. Brewers yeast is rich in B vitamins, including thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin, which are necessary for proper immune function. By supporting the immune system, brewers yeast may help reduce the severity of sweet itch symptoms.
Skin and coat health
Sweet itch can cause horses to experience hair loss, itching, and skin irritation. Brewers yeast is rich in biotin, which is essential for maintaining healthy skin and a shiny coat. Biotin is a B vitamin that promotes the growth of strong, healthy hair and hooves. It may also contain other beneficial nutrients, such as zinc and selenium, that promote healthy skin and coat. Supplementing with brewers yeast can improve the overall health and appearance of the horse’s skin and coat, helping to reduce the severity of sweet itch symptoms.
Horses with sweet itch may be more prone to digestive issues due to their compromised immune system. Brewers yeast contains beneficial microorganisms, such as Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which can help support a healthy digestive system in horses. It may also contain prebiotics, which are indigestible carbohydrates that promote the growth of beneficial gut bacteria. By improving digestive health, brewers yeast can enhance the overall health of the horse and help reduce the severity of sweet itch symptoms.
Brewers yeast may help reduce stress in horses by promoting the production of neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and dopamine. Horses with sweet itch may experience stress and anxiety due to their condition, which can exacerbate their symptoms. By reducing stress levels, brewers yeast can help the horse better cope with the symptoms of sweet itch.
It’s important to note that while brewers yeast can be beneficial for horses with sweet itch, it should not be the only treatment used. Other management strategies, such as fly control, environmental management, and topical or oral medications, may also be necessary to manage sweet itch effectively. Before supplementing with brewers yeast or any other supplement, it’s important to consult with a veterinarian to ensure it’s safe and appropriate for your horse.